With some areas of Pennsylvania in the crosshairs of a potentially major winter storm, the Department of Health is reminding residents to follow common-sense safety tips to help keep themselves and their loved ones safe.
The Department provided the following tips:
- Prevent carbon monoxide poisoning during power outages:
- Do not use generators, camp stoves or similar items to power your home as they can release carbon monoxide – an odorless, colorless gas that builds up in closed spaces and is poisonous to breathe.
- Leave your home immediately and call 9-1-1 if your carbon monoxide detector sounds. Get medical help right away if you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning and are dizzy, light headed or nauseous.
- Keep as warm as possible if your power is out:
- Hypothermia is a serious condition that happens when your body temperature is too low. Those most at risk include older Pennsylvanians and babies sleeping in cold rooms. If your power is out for a long time, stay with a relative or friend or go to a shelter.
- Prevent snow removal injuries:
- Dress appropriately.
- When possible, push snow instead of lifting it. If you must lift, bend your legs and not your back.
- Avoid twisting motions that can stress your back.
- If you experience chest pain, shortness of breath or other symptoms of a heart attack, seek immediate medical care or call 9-1-1.
- If using a snowblower, read and follow all safety instructions.
Visit www.health.state.pa.us for more winter weather safety information.